St. Charles Parish Law Enforcement Complex
|St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office
Law Enforcement Complex
260 Judge Edward Dufresne Parkway
Luling, Louisiana 70070
For several years, Sheriff Greg Champagne envisioned an office complex that combined all the enforcement
divisions of the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office. These divisions, scattered throughout the parish in overcrowded or rented buildings, came together with the completion of the office's Law Enforcement Complex in March 2011. Governor Bobby Jindal and state Attorney General Buddy Caldwell attended the ribbon-cutting.
The 39,000 square-foot complex, located at 260 Judge Edward Dufresne Parkway in Luling, cost $7 million to build. The project was generously aided by the late Edward A. Dufresne Jr., a Louisiana appeals court judge, and his family, who donated the land for the project. The road in front of the complex and the building's large conference room were both named in Dufresne's honor. Housed in this complex are the Patrol, Crime Scene, Criminal Investigations, Juvenile Investigations, Special Investigations, and Executive offices. Under the direction of Major Sam Zinna, the 39,000 square foot building and 8,500 square foot storage facility is rated to withstand 150 mph winds.
A guided tour of the complex is as follows:
- From the front entrance, the right hallway leads to a 6,000 square foot Crime Scene Division which contains evidence storage rooms and stand-alone climate controlled systems for evidence preservation.
- To the left of the main entrance is a 6,000 square foot Patrol Department. Included here are the K-9, Marine, Motorcycle, Patrol Shifts, Reserves and Traffic Divisions.
- A hallway toward the back of the building leads to a 2,000 square foot multi-purpose room which is utilized for training, meetings, and media events. This room contains state of the art audio and video equipment with individual lap-top hook-ups for use by occupants.
- The second floor houses Executive offices and a 16,000 square foot Criminal Investigations Department. Individual divisions
are:Detective, Juvenile Investigations, Cyber Crimes, Special Investigations and Special Operations.
- Walking out the back door downstairs leads to an 8,500 square foot vehicle and storage building which houses specialized command/response vehicles. Also included is an area for K-9 dogs.