Function, Selection & Requirements
The Explorer program has a stringent selection process and only takes the most qualified applicants. Once selected, an Explorer is expected to maintain a high level of standards.
Explorers perform deputy-related functions by assisting clerical and sworn personnel with a variety of activities. These range from assisting with parking at public events, such as the recent Hale Boggs Bridge Run, to marching in the Luling and Des Allemands parades. Explorer Post #15 members also assist with the St. Charles Council on Aging Mardi Gras Ball and the Sheriff Office's Reserve Academy graduation ceremony.
To participate, Explorers must:
- Be 15 years to 21 years of age (14-year-olds in the ninth grade are also accepted)
- Maintain a C average in all school work through the 12th grade
- Have no record of serious arrests or convictions
- Maintain good moral character
- Be free of any physical deficiencies that would jeopardize the Explorer or others in the program
- Present a written recommendation from a teacher, religious leader, or other responsible non-related adult
- Pass an oral examination
- Write an autobiography
- Pass a background investigation
- Register with the Boy Scouts of America
- Obtain a medical examination (to qualify for insurance)
- Attend and graduate from the Explorer Academy
- Demonstrate a willingness to serve and participate in Explorer activities
For more information, please contact Special Services Department at (985) 783-1355.
Check out our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/SCP.Explorer.post.15